Monday, August 6, 2012

The First Performance

July 18th, 2012 I traveled to Bristol, Rhode Island to attend a horror writers convention called Necon. About a week before the conference began I received an email from one of the organizers; they were looking for people to put together a "Necon Anthem" song. This is all jokes, mind you. Nothing serious. The anthem would be performed in front of the other attendants.   

I decided to slam together a song for the event. It took 15 minutes to write; I practiced it a couple times per day until the convention began. I called it, The Necon Anti-anthem.

When I got in front of my fellow writers to play the song - about 125 people - I was nervous. For the first time in over 20 years, I was nervous about playing live. And it wasn't even a real gig! It's funny... I know it's funny. But being nervous... it gave me a rush that I hadn't felt in a long time. Seconds before I strummed my first chord my nerves were electric. But as soon as I started to sing a strange calm feeling came over my body. It was weird how quickly I became comfortable. 

The song went pretty well, all things considered. People liked it. A whole whack of guys I had never talked with before came up to me saying how much they loved it. Words like "Brilliant" were tossed around - and trust me, there was nothing "brilliant" happening. Someone said, "As soon as you started playing I thought, Man... I need to know that guy." That felt nice.

It's interesting how music can bring people together. It's almost magic.

I didn't tell people that I had never sang in front of people before, or that I was nervous about it. Admitting such a thing seemed pointless. Especially since James Roy Daley - the drummer - had played live so many times before.

The song was a highlight of my weekend, and when I arrived home I decided to set up my first gig...

No comments:

Post a Comment